I'm going to start off my first blog with a little bit of honesty; I'm not excited about blogging. I have never thought about starting a blog nor do I follow any. I do have a Facebook account and share a little bit of myself on that page, yet still I always hold back before posting a comment. I ask myself two questions before ever posting. First, who cares? and second, would I say what I am about to say to every one of my "friends" if they were standing right in front of me? Usually by this point I decide against my post.
I did enjoy learning about the history behind blogs on wikipedia. I still find it exciting that we are encouraged to use this source for classroom work. I like that blogs are a way to collaborate knowledge and communicate interactively with others in the online community. I always thought of blogs as only used for "personal" diaries or journals. I never realized that they can be used for corporate affairs or classroom work. Perhaps my experience with blogs in this class will change my mind about them.
While doing my research about blogs I looked at several different ones. I really liked blogs that had to do with New Mexico. There was a blog about the local music scene called rock squawk. I enjoyed seeing what the musicians had to say about the local music scene. The page also had a calendar of events so the community could see what bands were going to be playing and where. If you are interested in checking out this blog, here is the link:
http://www/alibi.com/index.php?scn=rocksquawk/
I also enjoyed looking at the blogs called Democracy for New Mexico and Urban Albuquerque. I will add links to both of these as well.
http://www.democracyfornewmexico.com/
http://www.urbanabq.blogspot.com/
I was not a big fan of the personal blogs which I came across. Most of them had to do with restaurants that people liked or didn't like. I sell wine for a living and constantly run across blogs about wine when I am doing research about a specific vintage. It is valid that everyone has their own opinion about wines. They share what they like or don't like, but unless I know that their palate is similar to mine I am not likely to listen to the ratings that someone else gives the wine. After all, I don't even like to follow Robert Parker.
For this class I bought three of the books that were recommended on Penny's listing. I bought Multiple Voices, Multiple Texts: Reading in the Secondary Content Areas, English Learners Academic Literacy and Thinking, and Action Strategies for Deepening Comprehension. Due to the fact that I am taking three classes this term and working full time I will only be reading and blogging about one of these books during the semester. The book that I will be starting with and blogging about is Multiple Voices, Multiple Texts. I bought mine on Ebay, but I will put up a link to Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Voices-Texts-Reading-Secondary/dp/0867094176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308333853&sr=8-1
I look forward to getting started with my book and my blog and hope that this experience is positive and will change my opinion about blogging.
You're right, our posts are very similar! Also, I too thought that blogs were just about writing your personal thoughts, kind of like a diary. I had no idea they could be used for more intellectual subjects or even used in the classroom. I guess we'll be learning as we go!
ReplyDeleteI think community blogs are awesome! I'm not too familiar with Albuquerque because I have only been here a few years. Reading about social events and even restaurants is an interesting way to decide what and where to try out curious adventures.
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to see that you worry about what you post. I always question what I write and what I say.
ReplyDelete