Friday, July 8, 2011

Book Evaluation

I am very pleased with my choice of textbook selection for this class, which was entitled Multiple Voices, Multiple Texts: Reading in the Secondary Content Areas by Reade Dornan, Lois Matz Rosen, and Marilyn Wilson. This book has a great deal of information that is applicable to my endorsement area as I mentioned during my previous blogs. With my endorsement area being, Language Arts, I am not surprised that this book was applicable for me. Dornan, et al., did a fabulous job of incorporating other content areas as well. I also believe that anyone teaching math, science, history, or art would benefit from reading this book. This book includes great lesson plans, theories, anecdotal accounts, and research backed up with more research pertaining to reading and writing in the content areas.

I hope that you all have learned something new from reading my blog about this book. I have certainly learned a lot and will keep Multiple Voices, Multiple Texts around for reference when I begin my teaching career.

Emily

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your blog entries with us. I have read many of yours, as well as others who chose the same book as you, and I am now convinced that I should read the book myself. I particularly like to read anecdotal accounts because those are the ones that, for me, keep an academic reading exciting and makes it more inspirational in that I can imagine myself doing the same in future classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Bart. Your textbook sounds super useful. It's wonderful that the strategies are applicable in different content areas. As a teacher knowing strategies for diverse situations is a valuable.

    It is important that your book offers research backed up with more research pertaining to reading and writing in the content areas. I know that "researched-based" content and teaching is a requirement at my school.

    Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like an interesting book. And by what you say it seems like there are some great tools, like lesson plans, theories, etc., that can be a great asset to have. And since you think it would be beneficial to an art teacher I have to look into it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete